Nasagatha Roga – Disease pertaining to nose in Ayurveda
Naasaa Rogaass are the diseases caused and manifested on the Nose. Especially, these diseases are related to theNaasaa Srotas.
o It is also called as Peenasa. C.Chi. 26/107
o Pratis`hyaaya is caused as Roopa in Raajayakshmaa. It is expalined as a symptom of Raajayakshmaa inCharaka Samhitaa Raajayakshmaa Chikitsaa Adhyaaya. In Chikitsaa Sthaana it is explained as separate disease (as Svatantra Vyaadhi) as a type of Naasaa Roga.
o Pratis`hyaaya is explained at the start of the Naasa Roga because there are so many other diseases which are casued due to the Pratis`hyaaya. Chakrapaan`i
o Apeenasa is a type of Peenasa (Pratis`hyaaya) – As per Charaka Chi. 26
o Due to the causative factors, Doshaa_s which are Vaata dominant, get solidified in the nasal tract. These cause Pratis`hyaaya which may lead to Kshaya.
o Due to the causative factors, Doshaa_s get solidified (Styaana) in the S`hiras (head).
o The Vaayu gets aggravated in the S`hiras (head).
o This aggravated Vaayu causes Pratis`hyaaya.
When Pratis`hyaaya is increased due to unwholesome diet, it is called as Dusht`a Pratis`hyaaya. Due to obstruction in the Naasaa, due to trauma; Naasaa gets filled with the secretions (Svaara); it manifests with dryness (Naasaa S`hosha), suppuration in the nose (Naasaa Paaka). A person cannot detect different smells. There is foul smell to the mouth. There is recurrence of the Pratis`hyaaya.
If this Dusht`a Pratis`hyaaya is untreated or neglected, then it causes following diseases –
o Naasaa Kshavathu
o Naasaa S`hosha
o Naasaa Pratinaaha
o Naasaa Parisraava
o Pooti Naasaa (Ghraan`asya Pootitvam)
o Naasaa Paaka
o Naasaa S`hotha
o Naasaa Arbuda
o (Naasaa) PooyaRakta
o S`heersha (S`hiro) Roga
o Karn`a Roga
o Akshi (Netra) Roga
o Trit` (Trishn`aa)
o Vaisvarya (Svara Bheda)
- Vaayu residing in S`hira, after going through Marma Sthaanaa causes Kshavathu (sneezing).
- According to Sus`hruta, when Naasaa and Marma are vitiated by Vaayu coming out of the Naasaa; this Vaayucomes out with Kapha making sound is called as Kshavathu.
- There is another type of Kshavathu as Aagantu Kshavathu explained by Sus`hruta. Due to use of Teekshn`a Aushadha, due to over smelling of a drug, Kat`u Dravya, staring at the sun, elevation of Naasaagra at the upper side causes Kshavathu; which is Aagantu Kshavathu.
- Aggravated Vaayu dries up the Kapha and S`hringaat`aka and Ghraan`a. This is called as Naasaa S`hoshan`a.
- According to Sus`hruta, when Kapha at the Naasaa is dried by Vaata and Kapha, then it gets solidified and a person respirates with difficulty, then it is called as Naasaa S`hosha.
Naasaa Pratinaaha / Aanaaha
- The Kapha obstructs the root of the exhalation, which is associated with Vaata. This is called as Naasaa Prateenaaha.
- According to Sus`hruta, due to Kaphaavrita Udaana, Vaayu resides in the nasal tract. It gives feeling as if Naasaais covered by Vaayu. It is called as Naasaa Prateenaaha.
- A disease where solid, thick (Ghana), yellow colour (Peeta) Kapha is secreted from Naasaa is called as Naasaa Parisrava.
- According to Sus`hruta, when there is continuous, clean and watery secretion without any special colour and the secretion is more at the night; then it is called as Naasaa Parisrava.
- If Pratis`hyaaya is not treated properly or neglected then there is Vaivarn`ya, Daurgandhya, S`hvayathu andBhrama.
- According to Sus`hruta, due to Vidagdha doshaa_s, in Gala and Taalu; Vaayu is excreted out through the nose. These secretions come out through mouth and nose this is called as PootiNaasaa.
A disease that manifests with Naasaa Aanaaha, Naasaa Vis`hosha, Naasaa Prakledana, Naasaa Dhoopana is called asAppenasa. A person cannot detect or judge the smell. This disease is caused due to the vitiation of Vaata and Kapha. This disease actually manifests with the symptoms as of Pratis`hyaaya.
Ghraan`a Paaka / Naasaa Paaka
- Due to the vitiation of the Rakta Dhaatu and Pitta, there is Daaha, Raaga, S`hvayathu, Paaka; which is called asGhraan`a Paaka.
- According to Sus`hruta, Pitta at Ghraan`a (Naasaa), causes Arumshi. There is severe suppuration.
Doshaa_s vitiate the Rakta and other Dhaatu at the site of Ghraan`a causing the oedema; which is called as Naasaa S`hvayathu.
In the nasal tract, there is manifestation of tumor (Arbuda), which obstructs the exhalation (Uchchhvaasa Nirodha).This is caused due to the vitiation of Maamsa and Rakta by Dosha. Difference between Naasaa S`hopha and Naasaa Arbuda is that Naasaa Arbuda has Kos`ha but in Naasaa S`hotha has no Kos`ha.
- There is secretion of Pitta enriched Rakta through nose, ear and mouth. This is called as Pooya Rakta.
- According to Sus`hruta, due to Vidagdha Dosha, or due to trauma on the forhead; there is secretion of Pooya andRakta; then it is called as Pooya Rakta.
Due to Pitta and Vaata, skin gets vitiated, causing Arumshi. There is suppuration also.
- This is a disease in which a person feels as if its nose is inflamed or burned. This is called as Deepta.
- According to Sus`hruta, when there is Daaha in the Naasaa, Vaayu is exhaled through the nose, like Dhooma is called as Naasaa deepta.
S`hon`ita Pitta is of four types:-
Origin of S`hon`ita Pitta
Route of S`hon`ita Pitta:
- Adhara Maargaja
- Uttara Maargaja
There is secretion of Saandra, Vidagdha and Lavan`a Kapha. This is already accumulated in the head which secrets out through the nose due to heat of Pitta. This is called as Bhrams`hathu.
Types of Naasaars`ha:
Types of Naasaa S`hopha:
Types of Naasaarbuda
C.Chi.26, A.H.U.20, S.U.23, 24, N.R. NaasaaRoga
- Naasaa Roga is diseases manifested in the nose. Especially, these diseases are related to the NaasaaSrotas.
- These are MadhyamaMaargagataVyaadhi.
Nava Pratis`hyaaya Chikitsaa
- Avapeed`a Nasya
Nava Pratis`hyaaya: Apachyamaana Avasthaa
The patient should be advised diet having following properties Snigdha, Amla, Ushn`a and Laghu.
Parisheka and Pradeha with S`heetaDravya and application should also be in cold state.
Dusht`aPratis`hyaaya should be treated like Raajayakshmaa and KrimiRoga.
Snehana & Svedana
Vamana / Virechana
Kshavathu and Bhrams`hathu
Pradhamana Nasya (S`hirovirechana) à Snigdha Dhoomapaana
PittaghnaChikitsaa (Madhura and S`heetaGun`ayuktaChikitsaa)
Snehana & Svedana
Put`aka à Teekshan`aPradhamana
Pootinaasaa should be treated by Chikitsaa similar to KaphajaPeenasa.
Pooyarakta should be treated by Chikitsaa similar to Raktapitta. It should be treated with Madhura and S`heetaKashaaya_s.
Pratis`hyaa + Manda Pitta àSnigdha Virechana.
Kaphaja Pratis`hyaaya + Utklisht`a Kapha
Vamana should be administered with KaphaghnaDravya.
If Kan`d`oo is associated with Apeenasa, Pootinasya, KaphajaPeenasa and Naasaasraava then it should be treated by Dhoomapaana and Avapeed`a by Kat`uDravya like Maricha, Pippalee etc.
Rasa- Kat`u, Amla, Lavan`a
Gun`a/Karma- Snigdha, Ushn`a, Laghu
S`haaka- S`higruphala, Pat`ola, Vrintaaka, Pat`ola, Kaaravellaka, Nava Moolaka, Las`hoona, S`hun`t`hee,Maricha, Pippalee
Dugdha- Dugdha, Dadhi
Drava- Ushn`a Jala, Vaarun`ee, Madhu
Other- Jeern`a Yava, S`haalee, Kulattha Yoosha, Mudga Yoosha, Sneha, Sveda,Dhoomapaana,Gan`d`oosha, S`hirobhyanga
Gun`a/ Karma- Drava
Other– Snaana, Krodha, S`hakritmootravaataVegaavarodha, S`hoka, DravapadaarthaSeka