Vatarakta Chikitsa – Treatment for Gouty Arthritis in Ayurveda
For Education & Reference Purpose. Please consult with Ayurveda doctor for treatment
- Raktamokshan`a: It can be carried out by two ways taking Bala (strength of the patient) and Dosha into consideration.
Raktamokshan`a should be carried out in Vaatarakta, where there is Raaga, Rujaa and Daaha.
- Virechana: It is useful to reduce Kapha and Medas
- Snehana should be carried out first.
- It should be Sneha Virechana.
- Virechana can also be carried out with Rooksha Dravya (dry) in a patient in whom Snigdha (unctuous) attribute is increased.
- Virechana should be mild in nature to avoid the consequent vitiation of Vaata.
- Basti: Basti should be given repeatedly (Asakrit) as no other modality is as affective as Basti in the management of Vaatarakta.
- Seka, Abhyanga, Pradeha: These also can be carried out in a patient of Vaatarakta.
Saamaanya Chikitsaa given by Sus`hruta:
- Gud`a Hareetakee
o Vardhamaana Pippalee > Ksheera Pisht`a Pippalee / Jala Pisht`a Pippalee should be consumed > everyday 5 or 10 Pippalee_s are to be increased > the process is to be carried out for 10 days > Ksheera + Odana should be consumed during the process.
o Aamalaka Svarasa Siddha Puraan`a Ghrita
o Jeevaneeya Sarpi
o Pin`d`a Taila
o Sahaadi Ksheera Pisht`a Ghrita Man`d`ayukta Pradeha
o Saireyaadi Chhaga Ksheera Pisht`a Pradeha
o Kaas`hmaryaadi Goksheera Pisht`a Pradeha
o Jeevaneeya Ghrita
o Kaakolyaadi Ghrita
o Sushavee Ghrita
o Kaaravellaka Ghrita
o Balaa Taila
o Balaa Taila
o Balaa Taila
o S`haali, Shasht`ika, Yava, Godhooma (old cereals) with Ksheera or Jaangala Rasa or Moodga Yoosha
- Baahya (Uttaana) Vaatarakta: It should be treated with
- Gambheera Vaatarakta: It should be treated with
o Aasthaapana Basti,
In Gambheera Vaatarakta, when Rakta is affected Vaayu should be treated first as per the treatment advised in VaataVyaadhi. When Vaayu is pacified then only treatment of Vaatarakta should be started.
- Vaataja Vaatarakta: It should be treated with
o Sarpi, Taila, Vasaa, Majjaa Paana (single as per the condition or in combination of two, three or all four- Mahaasneha)
o Sukhoshn`a Upanaaha (warm poultice)
- Vaataja Vaatarakta – Chikitsaa given by Sus`hruta:
o Wherever there is vitiation of Blood (Rakta Dusht`i) due to Maargaavarodha (obstruction in the channels) to avoid the vitiation of Vaata Dosha, it should be treated with Parisheka repeatedly.
o Vamana followed by Samsarjana Krama.
o Different types of liquids should be given like:
Puraan`a Ghrita Paana (old ghee of at least 10 years standing)
Vaatahara Moola Siddha Ksheera
Amla (Suraa, Sauveera, Tushodaka etc. D`alhan`a)
Snaihika Phala (Eran`d`a, Tila, Atasee, Bibheetaka etc.) Utkaarikaa
Tila Kalka Lepa > when Vaata is dominant
- Raktapittotara Vaatarakta: It should be treated with
o Ghrita Paana
o Ksheera Paana
o S`heeta Nirvaapan`a (sprinkling of cold liquid)
- Pittaprabala and Raktaprabala Vaatarakta – Chikitsaa given by Sus`hruta:
o Paanaartha (to drink):
Draakshaadi Kashaaya + S`harkaraa + Madhu
Ksheera + Ikshu Rasa Yoga
S`haalyaadi Dhaanyaamla Pisht`a > it should be pleasantly hot while using.
- Raktaprabala Vaatarakta:
o Raktamokshan`a – it should be done repeatedly
o Pradeha – they should be extremely cold (S`heetatama) at the time of use
- Kaphaja Vaatarakta: It should be treated with
o Mridu Vamana (mild emesis)
o Snehana, Seka and Langhana these should not be carried out in excess (Na Atyartham)
o Ushn`a Lepa
- Kaphaja Vaatarakta – Chikitsaa given by Sus`hruta:
Aamalaka + Haridraa Kashaaya + Madhu
Mustaa + Dhaatree + Haridraa Kvaatha
Taila, Mootra, Kshaarodaka, Suraa, S`hukta, Kaphaghna Aushadha Kvaatha
Aaragvadhaadi Kashaaya > should be used hot
Mastu Morataadi Siddha Ghrita
S`hveta Sarshapa Pradeha
- Samsargaja / Saannipaatika Vaatarakta:
In the Samsargaja and Saannipaatika types of Vaatarakta, mixed treated as per the Dosha_s should be carried out. (In case of mixed picture of two or threeDosha_s mixed treatment should be administered according to the dominance of Dosha)
- Jalaukaavachaaran`a: In a patient where there is Rug (pain), Daaha (burning sensation), S`hoola, Toda (pricking pain); Jalaukaavachaaran`a should be carried out.
- Raktamokshan`a by using S`hringa (the horn of an animal) or Tumba (the gourd Lagenaria vulgaris): When there is Supti (numbness), Kan`d`oo (itching) andChimachimaayana (tingling and numbness), blood letting should be carried out by this way.
- Prachchhaana and Siraamokshan`a: When Vaatarakta is spreading from one site to another, these measure should be adopted for Raktamokshan`a.
- Nirooha and Anuvaasana: Basti_s should be given in Vaatarakta where there is Arti (pain) in Basti, Vamkshan`a, Paars`hva, Ooru, Parva, Asthi, Jat`hara and inUdaavarta.
- Bhedana, S`hodhana, Ropan`a: If there is aggravation of Rakta and Pitta in Vaatarakta, suppuration sets in leading to bursting and oozing of Vidagdha Rakta andPooya (Paaka). In this condition, Bhedana, S`hodhana and Ropan`a should be carried out. The complications should be treated as per their own treatment.
- Vamana, Virechana, Aasthaapana, Anuvaasana: When the Dosha_s are aggravated.
- Food and the Sneha used for Snehana should be Avidaahee (not causing burning sensation)
- Aad`hake, Chan`aka, Mudga, Masoora, Makusht`haka: All these should be used for preparation of Yoosha using abundant Ghrita.
- Sunishan`n`aka, Vetraagra, Kaakamaachee, S`hataavaree, Vaastuka, Upodikaa: All these vegetables should be used with Ghrita and Maamsarasa.
o It is prohibited in a person where there is Anga Glaani, Rookshataa (dryness) and which is Vaata dominant.
o Blood should not be removed in excess amount as it may cause; Gambheera S`hotha (deep seated oedema), Stambha, Kampa (tremors), Snaayu Vikaara,Siraa Vikaara, Glaani, Sankocha, Khanja, Vaatavikaara.
o These should be applied Ushn`a (hot) in the Vaataja and Kaphaja type of Vaatarakta. If Lepa is applied cold then it causes Daaha, S`hotha, Rujaa, Kan`d`oo, Vivriddhi (aggravation in the symptoms) in these conditions.
o Lepa in Raktapittotara Vaatarakta should be cold, otherwise it causes Daaha, Kelda, Avadaaran`a (breaking of the skin).
When Medas and Kapha are increased in large amount (Ativriddhi), they block the channels causing the obstruction in the flow of Vaayu in this conditionSnehana and Brimhan`a should not be done at the early stage.
Vihaara (behavioral regimen):
- Garlands made up of Kumuda and Chandana should be used.
- Sprinkling of water (consecration by sprinkling) to overcome Daaha
- Cold thing should be used to avoid Daaha.
- Vyaayaama > to reduce Kapha and Medas > otherwise prohibited
- Apravaata Griha S`hayana
- Mridugan`d`opadhaana S`hayana
- Mridu Samvaahana
- Rasa- Tikta
- Dhaanya- Shasht`ika S`haalee, Tand`ula, Rakta S`haalee, Godhuma, Yava
- S`haaka- Upodikaa, Kaakamaachi, Vetraagra, Sunnishan`aka, Vaastuka, Kaaravellaka, Tan`d`uleeyaka, Pat`ola, Aardraka, Sooran`a, Kokilaaksha, S`hataavaree, Sauvarchala
- S`himbee- Chan`aka, Mudga, Aad`hakee, Makusht`a, Masoora
- Maamsa- Laavaa, Kukkut`a, Pratuda and Vishkeera Maamsa
- Dugdha- Aavika Dugdha, Ajaa Dugdha, Maahisha Dugdha, Godugdha, Takra, Navaneeta, Ghrita
- Phala- Aamalakee, Draakshaa, Kushmaan`d`a
- Kritaanna- Odana + Ksheera, Peyaa, Mudga Paayasa, Audaaka, Prasaha and Aanoopa Maamsa Ves`havaara
Other- S`hun`t`hee, Madhu, Triphalaa, Gud`oochee, S`harkaraa, Taila, Seedhu, Arisht`a, Suraa, Aasava, Abhyanga, Karpoora, Aguru, Devadaaru Tail Mardana, Seka, Lepa, Upanaaha, Ghritapaana, Aasthaapaana, Basti, Virechana, Jalukaavachaaran`a
Rasa- Kat`u, Amla, Lavan`a
- Gun`a- Ushn`a, Guru, Abhishyandee
- S`haaka- Moolaka
- S`himbee- Maasha, Kulattha, Nishpaava, Sateena
- Maamsa- Pakshee Maamsa,
- Dugdha- Dadhi,
- Drava- Madya, Kaanjika