BOTANICAL NAME : ZANTHOXYLLUM ALATUM.ROXB.
FAMILY : RUTACEAE
Tumburu is mentioned in the patanjala Mahabhasya (P M 1 /1 /46 & 7/2/101). Another plant or synonym Tejani is delineated in Jaimini Grhya sutra (J.G.S. 1/20) .
Tejovati and Tumburu are the terms repeatedly used by Brhat Trayi. They have also described Tejohva few times only Vagbhata quoted the synonyn Tejini (A.H Sa 2/42 & ot. 22/56).
I therefore intend to collect all the details regarding , identity , morphology, chemical composition, pharmacology, therapeutic properties from time immemorial to present.
- Zanthouyllum limonella (Denenit ) Aiston
- Zanthouyllum alatum. Roxb
- Zanthouyllum acanthopodium DC.
- Zanthouyllum alatum DC.
- Zanthouyllum aromatum DC.
- Saurabha – Having pleasant smell
- Sauro – Having pleasant smell
- Vanaja – As it is grown in the forest.
- Tejasvini – As it is having tikshna Guna
- Saureya – Having pleasant smell.
- Tejohva – Tikshna dravya or Agni vardaka
- Tejabala – Agnivardaka
- Tejani -Tikshna dravya
- Tejodva – As it is having tikshna guna
- Soolagna – Soolagna action
- Sugandi – Having pleasant smell.
English – Toothache Tree
Hindi – Tejbal, Trimburu, Tumbura, Napali Dhaniya
Kannada – Tejaphal, Jinni, Tumburu
Tamil – Tejaphalam, Tejasvini
Telugu – Kondakasimanda, Tejasvini
Malayalam – Tejaphalam, Tejasvini
U.P Hills – Timur
Bengali – Nepali Dhane
Arabic – Phagir karava khandan
Persian – Kavava dahana kushada.
Powder – 1 -2 gm (Fruit up to 3 gm)
Kashaya – 50- 100 ml
- Tejovatyadi ghrta
- Tumburvadi curna
- Tikteksvakvadi tailam
- Kanakaksiri tailam
- Plant contains essential oil, linalocol, dipentence an essential oil, ceramic methyl ester.
- Bark contains bitter crystalline principle identical with berberine, a volatil oil and resin, alkaloids, dictamine, mangofluorine , xantho planine, skimmianine.
- Carpals contain a volatil oil, resin, a yellow acid principle and a crystalline solid body xanthoxyline.
- Carpals of fruit yields an essential oil isomeric with turpentine like eucalyptus oil in odour and property . The essential oil possesses antiseptic disinfect ant and deodorant property.
- Fruit containing a resinous substance which produces an intense tingling, sensation in the mouth and this irritating principle is possibly fragramide
PROPERTIES AND DOSHAGNATHA
Rasa : Katu , Tikta
Guna : Laghu, Ruksa, Tiksna
Virya : Usna
Vipaka : Katu
Doshagnatha : Kapha vata hara.
- Yakrt uttejaka
- Sirasula hara
- Soola prashamana
- Kanda sudhikara
- Dentha Vedana
- Krimi dentha
- Yakrt vikara
- Pliha vikara
- Sira soola
- Kanda roga
- Mukha roga : Equal parts of paatha , Tejovti and Haritaki are powdered mixed with honey and chewed (C.S. Ci 26)
- Arsas : Tumburu, vidanga, Devadaru and Yava are mixed with ghee and used for fumigation. (C.S. Ci. 26)
- Karna sula : oil prepared with hingu, Tumburu and sunthi is used as ear drops ( C. S. Ci 26)
- In sarpavisha : Tejohva pushpa swarasa with Agada.
- Used as resayana: Tejohva beeja and twak curna.
- Krimi – 1 gm of Beeja curna given internally to the children.
- Stem of the plant used as tooth brush.
- Fruit is used against dyspepsia, as a carminative and stomachache.
- Branches are used as miswak (tooth brush).
- Decoction or infusion of bark and seeds used as an aromatic tonic in fevers , dyspepsia and cholera.
- Fruits as well as the branches and thorns, used as a remedy for toothache; also as carminative and stomachic.
- Elsewhere , used for asthma , bronchitis , cholera, fever, indigestion, toothaches, varicose veins & rheumatism.
- Sino – Annamites are the leaves and fruits as carminative , sudorific, emmenagogue, and astringent.
- In Indian system of medicine used as stomachic, carminative and anthelmintic .
- Fruits and seeds used as aromatic tonic in fever, dyspepsia and cholera.
Anthelmintic activity of extracts of stem bark investigated; ethereal extract exhibited maximum activity against custodies followed by alcoholic and chloroform extracts.