The drug Surapunnaga was mentioned in samhithakala and it’s
Properties actions and indication in various diseases.
In susruthasamhitha it was mentioned under eladi gana in the context of treatment of Jvara, Rakthapittha, Ama are mentioned.
Surapunaga is a plant which is available throughout India. We get reference about this in Nigantu like Bhavapreakasha Nigantu, NingantuAdarsha & Priya Ningantu
- Surapunaga :This type of punnaga is favorite of good
- Sugandika : It is having good smell.
- Deva vallabha : It is liked by gods.
- Sura parnika : सुरप्रिय पर्णमस्यां
- Surapati :Main flower of god
- Nameru :
- Naga puspa : नगस्त हस्तिनों मदगन्द युक्तं पुष्ण/
- Surangi :
- English : Cobra’s saffron
- Hindi : Nagakesara, Pulaka, Punnaga,Sulthanchampaka
- Kannada : Suragi, Gardundi
- Malayalam : Surampunna, Seava
- Tamil: Nagakesara, Surapunnagam, Surabunnai, Valai.
- Telugu : suarpunna, Surapunnagam
- Bengal : Nagesar, Nagkesara, Rajachampaka
- Oriya : Churiana
- konkani : Ranundi, suringi
- Sanskrit: Surapunnaga, Nameru, Suraparnika, Devavallabha, Rakthapuspa, surangi, Rakthakshara.
GANA & VARGA
- Karaveeradivarga (Raja Nighantu)
- Naga Pushpadivarga (Nighantu Adarsha)
- Karpooradivarga (Bhavapreakasha)
- Nagakesharadivarga (Drvyaguna)
Roots posess Surangine A and B flowers and buds contain Stearyl, Stearate, Stilbene, Squelene, B – Sitosterol, Compestral, Viterein
Leaves contain Friedin, amentoflarone vetexine
Flower bud contain a colouring matter which dyes Silk red.
PROPERTIES AND DOSHAGNATA
Rasa: –Kashaya, Madhura
Guna: –Laghu, Rooksha
- Raktapitta Shamaka
- Ama pachana
- In Kusta –the drug is applied externally.
- Drug Surapunnaga is aromatic, astringent and stimulant. It is used in anorexia, dyspepsia and haemmerhoids.
- Kajal prepared by using seed oil is frequently used in all types of eye diseases and far colloing effect.
- The flower buds poces mild stimulant, carminative and astringent, thet are used by dyspepsia and haemorroids.
- Fruit are edible, it contain a soft juicy pulp with the flavors of rose water.
- Perfume extracted from flower.
- Bark decoction: 5-100 ml
- Powder :5g
- Oil :5 drops
The drug Surapunnaga was mentioned in Samhitakala and its properties, action and indication in various diseases.
In Susrutha Samhitha, it was mentioned under Eladi gana. In the cortex of treatment of Jwara Raktapitta, Ama it was mentioned.
Surrapunnaga is a plant which is available throughout India. One can get reference about its Nighantu, Nighantu Adarsha and priya Nighantu.