Pisaca karpasa(Abroma Augustum)
- पीवरी योर्षाणि सा स्याद् योनिव्याप्दिनशिनि
- Yoshini are its Synonyms
GANAS OR VARGAS
- Kula – Pishachakarpasa Kula
- Bhava prakasha Nighantu – Pushpa Varga
- Raja Nighantu – Karaveeradi Varga
- Kaiyadeva Nighantu – Oushadi Varga
- English :- Devil’s Cotton
- Hindi :- Ulat Kambala
- Kannada:- Bhangi mara
- Tamil:- Siva pputtutti
- Bengali:- Ulat Kamnal
- Marathi:- Ulat Kambal
- Assamese:- Ban kopashi
- Chinese:- Shvo ma
- Root bark contain gum resin (exulate) mucilaginous matter, non – srystalline substance and ash.
- Root contains resin, fixed oil and alkaloids in lesser percentage.
- Whole plant has yielded alkaloids and secondary metabolites including steroids, triterpenes, flavonoids, megastimanes, benzoyl drofurans and glycoside and phenyl tanoid glycosides.
- Study of roots yielded some alkaloid bases, reducing sugars and some phytosterols
- Study reported a large amount of Magnesium salts in combination with hydroxyl acids, gums, resins and other organic residues.
PROPERTIES AND DOSHAGNATHA
- Rasa :- Katu, Tikta
- Guna :- Laghu, Ruksha, Tikshna
- Veerya :- Ushna
- Vipaka :- Katu
- Artava janana
- Garbhashya balya
Parts used are:-
- Root – मूल
- Bark – त्वक्
- Root bark – मूल त्वक्
The dry Pisaca karpasa is an emmenogogue agent acting chiefly on uterine organs and functions, it stimulates uterine function tone up uterine (Organ system and Physio pharmacologically effects as emmenogogue resulting into regular and normal consistency in menstruation flow by suppressing painful or difficult and scandy condition.
- The presence of magnesium salts with some hydroxyl acids have made it valuable as a styptic for use in Uterus haemorrhages.
- Pasturition – healing, chaff of plantago major(isobyol) is purchased from market, soaked overnight, then 1 or 2 leaves of Abroma augusta are crushed per fist of Chaff. Bowl amount of Chaffed orally once in a day for 21 days.
- Root used as efficient emmenogogue
- Infusion of fresh stems and leaves in cold water is a demuluscent and used in gonorrhoea
- In Ayurveda, used for Chronic dysfunctional uterine bleeding
- In Bangladesh leaves and stems used for menstrual disorders and diseases of the uterus; bark and roots for leucomea and menstrual problems. Also used for Stomach aches, diabeties, dermatitis and whitish urinary discharge in men.
- In India used for dysmenorrhoea fresh and dried root bark used as Uteric tonic and emmenogogue.
- In Indonesia, used for Scabies.
- Fresh Viscid Sap is useful in Congestive and neuralgic varieties of Dysmenorrhoea used as regulator of menstrual flow and as uterine tonic.
Study of aqueous extract of Abroma augusta on alloxan diabetic rats showed both hypoglycemic effects with gradual and significant fall in fasting glucose and improvement in glucose tolerance. It also showed lowering of total and LDH Cholestrol
- Anti – Inflammatory
Study evaluated ametuanolic extract of different parts of Abroma augusta for anti – inflammatory activity by carrageenan – induced paw oedema method. Results showed potent anti – inflammatory activity comparable to dicloferae and probably due to alkaloid and flavonoid contents.
- Anti – Diabetic/Comparative Study
A Comparative study was made on the anti-diabetic activities of methanolic extracts of Abroma augusta and seeds of Syzigium cumini in alloxan – Induced diabetic rats. Results showed significant reduction of glucose level. The activity was attributed to inhibition of free radical generation and tissue damaged induced by alloxan or potentiation of insulin effect. Comparatively SC was more efficacious than AA.
- Anti – bacterial/Anti – fungal/Cytotoxic
Study evaluated the invitro antibacterial, antifungal and cytotoxic effects of ethanolic and petroleum ether extracts of two Bangladeshi medicinal plants Dillenia indica and Abroma augusta. Results showed both plants possessed moderate anti – microbial and cytotoxic properties.
- Wound Healing
Study evaluated the wound healing profile of an alcoholic extract of Abroma augusta and its effect on dexametosome suppressed wound healing in wister rats.
- Powder :- 100 to 150 mg
- Extract :- 10 to 20 ml
- Juice :- 5 to 10 ml
- PIVARI CHOORNA