We all know that small children are used to crawl and little grown up children are used to touch anything they saw. They will be even playing with mud and soil. After doing all these activities they will put their finger into mouth or they will eat food without washing their hands
Now all these cause worm infestation in Children, through all the above mentioned activities eggs of worms are brought into human body. And they develop into worms and sticks to the walls of intestines
Symptoms shown by Children due to Worm Infestation
By the infestation of worms like Tapeworms, Intestinal worms, Flatworms, Children will have stomach pain. In pinworm infestation, the child feels itching around the anus.
In severe conditions you can observe weight loss, restlessness, irritability and loss of appetite
The basic line of treatment for Krimi (Intestinal and other parasites) in Ayurveda can be classified into:
- Apakarshan`a (Extraction measures)
- Prakriti Vighaata (Antagonastic measures)
- Nidaana Parivarjana (Avoidance of causative factors)
Extraction of the parasites should be done
With appropriate therapies:
- Prakriti Vighaata:
Drugs and diet which are pungent, bitter, etc to avoid development of Krimi.
- Nidaana Parivarjana:
Factors which produce the parasites and similar substances should be avoided.
The patient should be given oleation and sudation therapies for a period of 6 / 7 days. Following day he should be fed with foods such as milk, sugar candy, curds, etc. to bring about Udeeran`a i.e. propel the parasites to move to the alimentary canal; then if the food consumed previous day is properly digested, should be givenAasthaapana Basti (enema), Vamana (emesis) and Virechana (purgation) therapies on the same day if the patient is Arha (fit) for the therapies.
In order to get rid of the worms, the patient should be oleated and should be given emesis followed by purgation with drastic formulations.
When the non – unctuous enema comes back, the patient should be bathed with warm water and fed with anti – helminthic food without delay, followed by unctuous enema.
The worms / parasites situated in head, heart, nose, ear, and eye should be managed particularly with collyrium and various kinds of Snuffs.
Drug of choice:
In all the types Surasaadi Gan`a drugs should be used as the drug of choice. (S.U.54/38)
Ayurvedic Home remedies for worms infestation in children
- Give 1 cup of grated Carrot in the morning 1 hour before breakfast for 4 to 5 days.
- Take 1 tablespoon of raw Papaya juice mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey (shahad) and give this to the child in the morning on an empty stomach. This should be followed by a glass of warm milk mixed with 1 teaspoon of Castor oil. Do this for atleast 2 days.
- Make the child to eat a small piece of Jaggery (gudha) after each meal.
- Give a piece of Garlic (lehsun) clove a day until the worms are removed.
- Grind a fresh coconut finely and mix it directly into some milk or boil it with milk. Give this decoction to the child for about four times in a day.
- Take a handful of Pomegranate (anar) leaves, crush them and boil with a glass of milk. Drink half of it early in the morning on an empty stomach and the rest after two hours.