AYURVEDA MEDICINE FOR PILES – INTRODUCTION
Ayurveda medicine for Piles is a frequently asked question as there is a an increasing incidence of Piles among the Population. Piles is a condition that affects all socio-economic groups of people. Piles or haemorrhoids are inflamed veins in your rectum, similar to varicose veins. They develop inside the rectum or under the skin around the anus. The condition has its own troubles, such as excessive haemorrhage, swelling and also thrombosis through which an individual buckle down with serious discomfort and pain and also cannot perform his day-to-day work. Almost 3 out of 4 adults will certainly have piles from time to time. It has a variety of reasons for the occurrence, however usually the cause will be unidentified. Despite the fact that they are undesirable and painful, they are quickly treated as well as really avoidable.
Piles in Ayurveda is called as Arshas. A condition which tortures person’s vital force like an enemy is called as Arshas. Carelessness of diet and lifestyle leading to diminished digestive fire causes the inability to absorb the food product at proper rate and time resulting in accumulation or stagnation of undigested material in the form of stools inside or eliminating it before time in watery or semisolid form which disrupts doshas at anorectal region.
Causes of Piles
• Straining during defecation
• Sitting for too long
• Persistent constipation or irregular bowel movements
• low fiber diet
• Weakening of the supporting tissues in your anus, which can occur with aging.
• In pregnancy they occur a lot more commonly as the uterus presses the blood vessels in the colon causing it to lump
• Frequent lifting of heavy weights
• Genetic factors
Signs and symptoms of Piles
• Painless bleeding
• Leaking faeces
Types of piles
• Internal haemorrhoids– they are deep inside the rectum that protrudes sometimes on exertion causing pain and discomfort.
Exterior haemorrhoids– they are seen under the skin around the rectum. As there are more nerves in this part of the body, there can be excruciating pain and bleeding while passing stools
Treatment of Piles in Ayurveda
Ayurveda has discussed 4 approaches for the treatment of piles-:
1. Bheshaja chikitsa or medicinal treatment is indicated in conditions with mild signs and symptoms. It includes use of oral medications with local applications like Abhyanga, Pariseka, Pralepa, Avagaha etc. Systemic medications work by promoting appetite and maintaining Agni and as well as Doshas in balance.
2. Kshara Karma (cauterisation therapy with alkali) is a milder technique, where it indirectly cauterizes the tissue after applying on it. ‘Kshara Sutra Ligation’ is a Para surgical procedure to gradually excise the pile mass using mechanical stress and chemical action without using a knife.
3. Agni Karma (fire cauterisation) — considered as superior due to non-recurrence of the illness. The procedure is performed either by using fire directly or by using fire related objects.
4. Shastra Karma (surgical approach) — indicated in pile mass, which are thin rooted, protruded and predominant with discharge.
Do’s and Don’t’s
• Eating food rich in fibre, such as fruits and vegetables along with whole grains, makes stools soft. Likewise, drinking plenty of fluids helps to keep the stools soft.
• Avoiding over straining– as this produces pressure in the blood vessels in the lower rectum,
• Going to the toilet when needed required — as it’s said, the longer the delay, the drier the stools will be.
• Physical Exercise — sitting or standing still for long periods puts pressure on the veins. Physical activity also helps stools to move through the bowel, so bowel movements will be much more regular.
• Maintain a balanced body weight– being obese considerably increases the threat of having haemorrhoids.
Piles is certainly one among the common ailments that affects way of life of mankind. Patients end up being scared of defecation because of pain and blood loss. Therefore, Ayurveda has enormous possibility for dealing with all the stages of Arshas effectively with no complications.