The drug Yavasa, is known by the botanical name Alhagi camelorum, belonging to fabaceae family. It has main action like pitta-shleshma prashamana, trsnanigrahana, dahaprasamana etc.. It is an important herb with excellent therapeutic utiltiy in jvara, raktapitta . It is one among the controversial drug. WHO has evolved guidelines to support the development of traditional medicines in member status.
The drug Yavasa is explained in all brihathraies. Acharya charaka mentioned this drug in 3rd chapter of Suthrasthana and 3 , 4 , 14th chapter of cikitsasthana.Acharya vagbhata mentioned in his uttaratantra 22nd chapter. Acharya susrutha mentioned this drug in his suthrasthana under the heading of Yasa sarkara Nighandus also mentioned about Yavasa.
English – Persian manna plant, Camal thron
Hindi – Javasa
Gujarati – Javaso
Bengali – Javasa
Arabi – Haj, Algoul
Persia – Khareshutur
Malayalam – Kappa ttumpa
Kannada – Turuche
Tamil – Punaikanjuri , Kanchori
Telugu – Chinnadoolagondi, Dhanvaya samu
GANA / VARGA
Kaiyadeva nighantu – Oshadhi varga
Shodala nighantu – Gudchyadi varga
Raja Nighantu – Shatahvadi varga
Bavaprakasa Nighantu – Gudchyadi varga
Dhanvanthari Nighantu – Shathapushpadi Varga.
Swarasa – 10 – 20 ml
Kwatha – 40 – 50 ml
Yasasarkara – 3 – 6 gms
20- 50 grams of the drug powder form for decotion
Melizitose – 47. 1 %
Sucrose – 26.4 %
Invert Sugar – 11.6 %
Rasa – Madhura, Tikta, Kasaya
Doshagna – Vata – pitta samaka
Guna – Guru, snigdha
Virya – Sita
Vipaka – Madhura
Raktapitta – Vatarakta
Pratisyaya – kasa – Svasa –galaroga
Jvara – Vatapitta janyopadrava.
PHARMACO – THERAPEUTIC
ACTION & USES
- It alleviates swelling and pain
- It is used in piles
- Leaf juice is used as nasal drops in headache.
- Oil boiled with dhamasa is used for massage in rheumaloid arthritis.
- Decotion is used for gargling in stomatitis and for cleaning wounds.
- It prevents pus formation.
- It is used in symptoms like syncope.
- It is used in emesis, dyspepsia, constipation, jaundice.
- It is useful in haemorrhagic disorders.
- It is used in common cold, cough, asthma
- It is useful in neck stiffness.
- It increases physical strength , weight.
- The drug Yavasa is trsnanigrahana
- The Manna or Yasasarkara is mild laxative
- The plant is given as fodder to camels liking Yavasaka herb for their feed of relish.
- It is useful in burning sensation. Chronic fever, madatyaya, piles, diseases of mouth.
- This drug is used in the disorders of respiratory system.
- It is useful in toning up the brain.
- It is useful in seminal disorders.
- The decoction of herb or leaves is used as gargle in catarrhal and throat effusions.
- Used in general debility and skin affections.
- It is used in vertigo, haemorrhage, gout , fever.
Cinnodbhavadi kwtha curna
Gandharvahastadi kwtha curna
Bharangyadi kwatha curna