Haritaki:- TERMINALIA CHEBULA Retz.
TERMINALIA CHEBULA is an extensively used herbal drug
It is classically recommended as rtuharitaki for using the drug during the course of different seasons.
- Various medicinal properties of drug fruit are specified in relation to its mode of use such as chewing,powdering,boiling and frying of fruit is stomachic,laxative, astringent and countering Tri-dosasrespectively.
- Haritaki is having 5 rasas except salt taste.
According to – Prajasthapana,jwaraghana, kushtaghna , kasahara , arsogna .
According to susrutha -Triphala,amalakyadi,parooshakadi,trivritadigana.
According to susrutha – Triphala,amalakyadi,parooshakadi,trivritadigana.
According to bhavaprakasha –Haritakyadivarga
Sanskrit – pathya,haritaki,abhaya
English – myrobalan,inknut,Indian gallnut
Hindi – Har, pile har
Punjabi – Hale la
Tulu -anile kayi
SYNOYMS AND INTERPRETATION
Haritaki – one which cures many diseases.
Abhyada – By consuming this drug , there is no fear of disease.
Avyadha – There is no disease .
Padhya – Which is good for the body.
Kayastha- It brings stability.
Pootana – Body becomes pure by its anuloma action.
Haimavathi – Available in himalaya Pradesh.
Chetaki – It opens the channels of body.
Sreyasi – good for health.
Shiva – good for health.
Jaya – to win over the diseases.
Vijaya – To win the diseases it is helpful.
Pranada – Which gives life.
Amritha – Having very good quality like ambrosia.
RASA: Pancha rasa yukta,Kashayapradhana , Alana exception
GUNA : Laghu ,Rooksha
Virya : Usna
Vipaka : Madhura
DosaKarma : Tridosahara,Vatasamaka
Prabhava : TridosaSamaka
Karma : rasayana, Vayahsthapana , Ayusya , Sarvarogaprashamana , Deepana, pashana , Anulomana, MrbuRechana, Grahi, krmighna, mehahara, Arsoghna, Hridya, ShonitaSthapana , Prajasthapana, GarbhashayaShothahara, Naditantra, Medhya, VrnaSodhana, VrnaRopana , Jvaragha , Santarpana ,
Dosa Karma : Tridusahara
Samstanika Karma : rasayana
NadiSamstana : Naditantra ,Nadidourbalya, Mastiskaclourbalya
PacanaSamstana : AgnimamdyaAjerna, Sulu, Anaba, Adhmama, Vibandha, Chardi , Udararogagulma , krimi, Arsa
RaktaVahaSamstana : Hreldourbalya , RaktaVikaraVatarakta
SwasanaSamstana : Kasa ,Swasa, Svaravikara
MootravahaSamstana : Mutrakrcchra , Mutraghata, asmari , prameha .
- Tannin (30%)
- Chebulinic Acid
- Gallic Acid , resin
- Purgative of Nature of anthrax guinone
- Chebulagic Acid
TERAPEUTIC USES :
- In Arsas – Haritaki Powder with sugar internally.
- Major drug among rejuvenation.
- Fruit is Stomachic ,tonic , Carminative ,expenturant, antihelmintic , anticlysenteric and alterative .
- In stomach disorders ,powder of Tchebula used internally.
- In pakvaAtisara – Haritaki Powder along with Hot water
- In PanduRoga – Haritaki Powder along with gomuthara
- In vataRakta -Haritaki Powder with guda.
- The ripe fruit is purgative, tonic , carminative and enriches the blood.
- It is useful in ophthamia , diseases of spleen , piles , cold, paralysis . It strengthens brain , eyes , gums .
- Fruits used in sour throat .
- Finely powdered fruit is used as dentrifice medicine useful in carious teeth , bleeding and ulcerative conditions of the gums.
- In condition of constipation, disease with constipation symptometc, fruit powder is taken with warm water in night.
- In sandhivata – Haritakichoorna with castor oil internally .Also in sciatica.
- In bleeding disorders – haritaki powder and pippali powder in equal quantity , given bhavana with swarasa of adathodavascica and given internally along with honey.
FOLK LORE USES
- A decoction of the fruits is a good astringent wash.
- A fruit, coarsely powdered and smoked in pipe, affords relief in a fit of asthma.
- A fine paste, obtained by rubbing the fruit on a rough stone with little water, mixed with oil and applied to burns and scalds.
- The fruit in combination with other drugs is prescribed for snake bite.
- One study reveals the anti oxidant activity of ethanolic extract of terminalicchebula fruit against isoproterenol – induced oxidativestress in rats. the result shows the significant anti oxidant activity.
- Anti – microbial activity ofTerminaliachebula was tested against helicobacter pylori. Waterextracts of terminaliachebula inhibited urease activity of H.pylori signified antibacterial activity.
- chebula exhibited strong anti microbial activity against methiallin resistant strains of staphylococcus aureus.
- chebula extract showed a potent wide spectrum of antibacterial activity against human pathogenic gram positive and negative bacteria.
Fruit (greater) – 3-6 Gms (as laxative)
- 1 gm as alternative .
Lesser – 1-3 Gms.
Abhayamodaka , Abhayarishta, Pathyadivadi, Vyaghriharitaki , citrakaharitaki, Agasthyaharitaki, Dantiharitaki, Haritakikhanda , Pathyadichoorna, Haritakyadikwatha, Pathyadikwatha, Dasamoolaharitaki, Triphala, Pathyadivarti, Haritakyadirasayana, Pathyavaleha, Abhayalepa, Pathyatrikam.
In India fruits are available in markets. They used as a mild laxative and as an ashriant against wounds and abscesses.
- In dental care dried powder is applied against stomatitis and against ulcers of the gum.
- Plant is used as antidode in snake bites.
- In southeast asia , it is a popular folk medicine for antitussive , homeostatic , laxative and cardiotonic treatments