There is no reference of baladvaya in authoritative books of dravayaguna. Usually in the name of BaladvayaBalaAtibaladravyas are considering.
In Vedic literature BALA is described as Rasayana, Visaghna, Balya and prameghana.Majumdas is of the opinion that ‘Arundhati’ or Sahadevi’ may be Bala in the Vedic literature.
But in the bhavaprakashaNighantu there is reference for Balacatushtayam. Though there are different opinions regarding the name of the plants commonly accepted is
Botanical Name : – Sidacordifolia Linn.
Family Name : – Malvaceae
Gana : – Charaka = Bala, Bramhaniya
Shushrutha = Vatasamana
Vagbhata = Vatasamana
Hindi = Kharainti, Basiyara
Telugu = Chirubenda,Chittamutti
Tamil = PaniyarTuttul, Nilathuththi
English = Country mollow,sida
Malayalam = Kattusum, Vellusum
Kannada = Hettuti
Bala = That which gives strength
Vadya = Having strong fibres
Vadyalika = Herb growing in the field or occurring widely.
Odhanahva = The seeda of which are like cereals.
Garayashtika = Having bairy& rough stem.
Balatya = That which give it tenacity & strength.
Pethapushpa = Flowers are yellow in colour.
Bhathrothani = The seeds of which are like cereals.
Vinaya = The plant is used as strength promoting.
Vishwadeva = Using everybody.
Arishta = Leafs are serrited.
Mrugarasa = Volatile oil is more.
Shithapaki = The fruit ripen in winter
- Plant contain alkaloidal past 0.085% & seed contain highest content 0.32%
- Ephedrine forms major part of alkaloidal content.
- Hypaphorine, vasicinone, vascicine, vasicinol chlorine, betaine, phytosterolete& also fatty acids, mucilaginousmatter,potassiumnitrare,resin,phytosterol.
- Plant has not yet shown presence of tannin,glucoside.
Rasa = Madhura
Guna = Guru, snigda,pichilla
Virya = Shithavirya
Vipaka = Madhura
Karma = Balya, Bramhaniya,Krimigna,Rasayana
Roga = Grahani,Athmana,pkshagatha
Dosaghnatha = Vatapittahara
- Antravrddhi = Balaksheera is added to erandatila and administered orally ( C.D)
- Galaganda = Bala,Atibala and nevadasu are powdered 7 given through oral rout ( S.S.Ci 18)
- Vatavyadhi = Balayusa is best for the vatarogas (V.M)
Kashaya of the balamula with ginger is given in intermittent fever.
- Leucorrhoea = Powder of the root bark is given with milk and sugar for the relief of frequent micturation& leucorrhoea.
- Facial paralysis = The bark of the root with sesama oil and milk is very efficacious in curing facial paralysis.
- Gonorrhea = The seeds are rockoned aphrodisiac & are administered in gonorrhoea.
- Blood flux = The leaves mixed with rice
- Rheumatism = The juice of the plant is used.
- Arshas = The twigs are fibrous they are boiled in milk &whislcea with the twigs cougulates,thedecented liquid is given in pils.
- Elephantiasis = a paste of the root made with the juice of palmyra palm is locally used.
- Ulcers = The juice of the root is applied as a sedative over ulcers.
- Rheumatism = The root are pounded and boiled in oil which is applied to rheumatism
Churna = 3-6g
Kvatha = 50-100ml
Botanical Name : – AbutilonIndicomLinn.
Family Name : – Malvaceae
Gana : – Charaka= Bramhaniya
Sushrutha = Vatasamsamana
Vagbhatta = Vatasamsamana
Hindi : – Kanghi,Kankatika
Kannada : – Shrimudregida,Mudregida
Tamil : – Tutti
Telugu : – Tutturubenda
Malayalam : -Vrqam, urabam,Katuvan
English : – Indian Mallow
Atibala: – The roots are very strong when administred increase Bala.
Rishyaproktha : – It grows widely and very common in forests.
Kankathika : – The fruits resemble comb.
Peethapushpa : – The flowers are yellow in colour.
Varshapushpika : – Blossoming in rainy season.
Vadyapushpi : – The plant occurring in wild like that of Bala&
having yellow flowers.
Saha : – Promotes Bala or physical strength.
Rasa : – Madhura
Guna :- Laghu, Snigdha
Virya :- Sita
Vipaka :- Madhura
Karma :- Vata pitta hara,Balya,Bramhanavrsya.
- Slipada – Bala and Atibala are taken with milk early in the morning.
- Mutrakracchra – Decoction of Atibala will be used.
- Raktapradara – Root powder of Atibala is given with sugar & Honey.
- RaktaPradara – Root powder of Atibala is given with together
- Raktamutra – Mula decoction.
- Arshas&bastiroga – The seeds are used.
- For the treatment of inflammation of the oral mucosa, blenorrhea,Asthamativ bronchitis and nasal congestion.
- Stomatitis,Facialparalysis,piles elephantiasis.
- In many part of Africa for various ailments particularly for respiratory problems
- It is an anti – inflammatory drug,due to the ephedrine content,it possesses psycho-stimutant properties.
- It affecting the CNS also CVS.
Hescoses, n-alkane mixtures, alkanols Beta- sitosterol,vanillic,
P-coumaric, caffic,Fumaric& amino acids, alantolactone, isoalantolacone etc.
Kvatha :- 50-100 ml
Churna : – 3-6 g.m
- Crude extract of s.rhombifolia ( 5 & 10 Kg) produce sedative effect and significant potentialion of phenobarabitone sleeping time in mice. Extract didnit produce any change in the normal temperature of the mice, but 10 g/ Kg dose showed significant decrease in rectal temperature of pyretic rats 2 and 3 hr after administration ( Japanese . J . Phusm, 21 : 136, 1971 )
- In an experimental study on the Rasayana drugs viz, Bala, Atibala,Mahabala&Bhumibala have been screened for their immuno – enhancing properties. Animals of drugs treated group showed statistically an enhanced production of “ anti s typhi ‘o’ ” antibodies. Abutilon indicum ( Atibala ) was best drug in augmenting antibody production ( Dixit,1978)