Allergic Rhinitis Ayurvedic Treatments
Allergic Rhinitis or Hay fever is an inflammatory response of nasal mucosa to airborne allergens (particles that provoke an allergic reaction). Allergy is an abnormal function of immune system. When our immune system fail to recognize common dust, pollen etc and treat like a harmful allergen, The inhaled allergens activate Mast cells and Basophils. These cells release Histamine and chemical mediator. Histamine is a natural chemical that defends your body from the allergen.
As a final outcome there will be symptoms in nose, eyes, ear, throat and palate like repeated sneezing and thin watery discharge from the nose and itchy eyes.
- Early morning sneezing or recurrent sneezing when exposed to allergic factors.
- Nasal congestion.
- Thin watery discharge from the nose.
- Itching in the eyes, ear, throat and nose.
- Post nasal drip
- Sore throat
- a runny nose
- a stuffy nose
- an itchy nose
- a sore or scratchy throat
- itchy eyes
- watery eyes
- dark circles under the eyes
- frequent headaches
- eczema-type symptoms, such as having extremely dry, itchy skin that often blisters
- excessive fatigue
- Seasonal allergic causes (symptoms appear in particular season): Pollen’s, dust mites, Grass dust, fungal spores etc.
- Perennial allergic causes (symptoms present throughout the year): House dust, chemicals, Animal dandruff, cockroach, wood dust etc.
- Strong irritants like smoke, odors, humidity of the atmosphere and Perfumes.
- Some external factors can trigger or worsen this condition, including:
- animal dander, which is old skin
- cat saliva
- cigarette smoke
- cold temperatures
- air pollution
- wood smoke
Avoid the above said factors and the following factors:-
- Avoid exposure to known allergens and factors that trigger the symptoms like animal dandruff, pillow or mattress, house dust and chemicals.
- Keep windows closed during pollen season and while travelling in an open vehicle.
- Wash the hands after petting the animals.
- Steam inhalation twice daily, the water may have camphor or few drops of Eucalyptus oil.
- Avoid cold water head bath. Apply Rasnadi churna over Vertex after the head bath.
- Avoid Smoking, day sleep and suppression of natural urges.
- Do regular Pranayama.
- Use the food which is processed with Turmeric, Pepper and Ginger.
- Avoid Kaphakara aharas(Snigdha, sheeta, pichila and kledayukta)like icecream, curds, milk, banana, oily, fried, Chinese and junk foods.
- Avoid excessive drinking of water, Drink only warm water when you feel thirst.
Ayurveda Treatment concept:
- Prathishyaya chikitsa
- Kshawathu chikitsa
- Kaphavatahara chikitsa
- In Pitta and Raktadusti associated condition treat according to prakopa of anubhanda dosha.
In most of the patients Allergic rhinitis seen in early morning in Kapha kala. If you assess the nidana, there will be a history of intake of kaphakara kledayukta ahara like kaanji, curds, milk, excessive intake of water etc, especially in the night time. By following pathya there will be a gradual reduction in the symptoms. Select the oushadha dravyas having Kaphavatahara ruksha, ushna, pachana and vatanulomaka properties.
- Tulasyadi kera
- Surasadi Taila
- Karpooradi taila
- Bashpa sweda (steam inhalation – hot water with eucalyptus oil few drops and camphor)
Sneha nasya: Marsha or Prathimarsha Nasys (useful in Chronic Allergic rhinitis)
- Shadbindu taila
- Shirovirechana gana siddha taila
- Rasnadi churna
- Kacchoradi churna
- Amruthothara (Kaphavatahara, pachana, Ruksha and Ushna)
- Dashamoola katutraya (Kaphavatahara, Vatanulomaka, Pachana, Ruksha and ushna)
- Elakanadi Kashayam
- Indukantham Kashayam
- Maha sudarshana kashayam
- Amrutha rajanyadi Kashayam
- Talisadi churna(Kaphavatahara)
- Rajanyadi Choornam
- Sitopaladi churna(Pittakaphahara)
- Laghu Sutshekhara mishrana(Pittakaphahara, ruksha)
- Trikatu churna(Kaphahara, Lekhana, Srotoshodhana)
- Laghu Sutshekhar Rasa
- Naradiya Laxmi Vilasa Rasa
- Mrityunjaya rasa
- Tribhuvana kirti rasa
- Vyoshadi vattakam
- Vettumaran gulika
- Mahasudarshan Kadha
- Haridra khanda
- Agatsya rasayana
- Shatphala gritha