[Crataeva nurvala Buch.Ham]
- Vatasmari nasaka
- Tikta varga
- Vata samshamana
- Charaka—-Tikta skandha
- Vagbhata —- varunadi
- Vrinda madhava— Ashmarigha
- Sodala Nighandu —- Amradi varga
- Kaiyadeva Nighandu—- Aushadhi varga
- Bhava prakasha Nighandu —- Vatadi varga
- Dhanvantari Nighandu —- Amradi panchama sarga
- Sad rasa Nighandu / Abhidhana ratnamala—-Kashaya dravya
- English 3 leaved caper
- Malayalum Niravila
- Kannada Neravele
- Hindi Varna, Baruna
- Tamil Mavilingam
- Telugu Magalingam
- Marathi varun
- oriya Baryno
- Varuna :That which useful in treatment of Gulma.
- Tiktasaka : That’s stem are tikta in taste.
- Kumaraka : The leaflets – glabrous.
- Setuvrksha : Having malabhedanadi guna.
- Bilva patra : Like bilva it has three leaflets.
- Bahupushpa : During Vasanth rtu all the branches of plant
will be covered by flower / full of flowers.
- Bhramara priya : Attract Bhramaras (honey bee).
- Vrtha Phala :Fruit are round.
- Ashmarighna : Useful in Asmari.
- Tikthasara :Sara is tikta in taste.
- Stem Bark:Tannin & Saponoin
(-)- epiafzelechin, (-)- epiafzelechin 5- O-β-D glucoside,(-) catechin,lupeol, diosgenin,friedelin, betulenic acid, ceryl alcohol,glucocapparin,β-sitosterol; varunol, the alkaloids,cadabicine, , diacetate, & cadabicine Methyl ether also isolated.
- LEAF:L-stachydrine, rutin, quercetin &isoquercetin.
- FRUIT:Ceryl alcohol,cetyl alcohol, tricontanol, tricontane, glucocapparin &β-sitosterol.
- ROOT BARK :βsitosterol, lupeol,varunol, β-sitosterol acetate, β-taraxasterol,β-epilupeol,lupenone, rutin & quercetin (anti-inflammatary substances).
Virya :Ushna virya
Prabhava :Ashmari bhedhana
- Ashmari bhedhana
- Raktha shodhaka
- Raktha uttejaka
- Yakrt uttejaka
- Vata raktha hara
- In vidhrathi,Ganda mala
- asmari,mootra krachra & moothraghadha
- Vrna sodha
- Yakrt vikara
- Bhasthi soola
- In Asthama & bronchitis
- Raktha dosa, vyanga – varnavikara
AMAYIKA PRAYOGA (THERAPEUTIC USES)
- Varuna pushpa ( varuna’s flower) useful in Amavata & considered as Grahi & pittarechaka.
- In vidradhi& ganda mala, a kvatha is prepared with the bark & given with madhu. Externally applied on ganda mala as paste.
- In Asmari a kvatha is Prepared with mulatwak, the curna of bark is added to& given (V.M).
- In mutrakrucchra the bark kvatha is useful.
- In vyanga , lepana of varuna twak with goat’s milk applied externally. (Chakradhatta)
- In asmari, prameha, bastisula, mutrakrucchra & other mutradiseases, along with apamarga, punarnava, yaraksara,goksura & yastimadhu given.
- In vedanayuktha vata vikara’s : Varuna mula twak churna with shingru mula twak churna & dhanyamla applied externally (B.P).
- In asras : varuna pathra kvatha avaghaha sweda given (C.C).
- Kikkisa – First the suprapubic area is rubbed with dried cow – dung & then anionted with the paste of varuna leaves ( R.M).
- In Rheumatism – leaf juice in doses of ½ to 3 tolas is given, mixed with coconut milk & ghee.
- Calculus – Root & bark used in the form of embocation which is prepared by boiling them in oil.
- Bark decoction with addition of treacle : decoction prepared by bruising & boiling 4 ounces of bark in 1 pints of water till reduced to 1 pint & strained & cooled which is useful in urinary complaints such as kidney, bladder stones. Fever, to relieve vomiting.
- Bark used in snake bite.
- Aromatic & bitter tonic prepared by infusion of leaves.
- In ascites, urinary disorders, calculus affection- compound decoction containing its root bark,leaves,small calrrops, ginger, carbonate of potash, honey & water.
- Swelling & burning sensation in feet – paste of leaves applied to soles of feet.
- For scrofulous Enlargements of glands under lower jaw – a decoction of bark prescribed (sarangadhara).
- Internal / deep seated suppurative inflammation – A decoction of bark & punarnava in the proption of 5 to 2 parts respectively.
PARTS USED ( UPAYUKTHA ANGA)
- Moola Twak Pushpa Pathra
- Root & Root bark
- Roots are long, cylindrical, woody & 0.5 to 8.0 mm in diameter.
- Root bark is 1.0 mm to 4.0 mm thick. Outer surface of root & root bark is yellowish brown, longitudinally wrinkled, rough due to presence of lenticels. Inner surface is smooth, yellow,longitudinally striated, fracture is tough.
Mature bark is 6-15 cm long & 3-10cm wide with thickness varying from 5 to 12mm. The thinner bark pieces are chanelled, but the thicker ones are flat & slightly curved. The outer surface is ash coloured & rough due to presence of numerous small & found lenticels & transverse wrinkles. Inner surface is smooth & whitish brown to buff coloured.
Leaves are alternate, petiolate, exstipulate with fairy large digitately trifoliate leaflets, which are thin texture, green, entire, ovate to lanceolate, glabrous, acute, petioles are long . Lateral leaflets areoblique.
Choorna 1-2 gm
FOLK LORIC REMEDIES
- Fresh leaves of crataeva bruised well with a little vinegar, lime juice or lime water or hot water, & applied to the skin as poultice/paste act as a vesicant.
- Fresh leaves & roots mixed with coconut juice & ghee are used as food to reduce corpulence.
- Leaf smoked in caries of the bones of the nose, & the smoke is exhaled through the nose.
- A paste of the leaves applied to soles of the feet to relieve swelling & burning sensation.
- A decoction of the bark of the tree is used in scrofulous enlargement of glands under the lower jaw.
- A decoction of the bark is also used for internal/deep seated suppurative inflammation.
- Varundya tila
- Varunadya ghrta
- Varunadi kwatha
- Varuna kshara yoga
- Kanjanara guggulu
- Varunadhi kvatha choorna
- At the central unit of govt.Research dept. of Ayurveda Hyderabad varuna kvatha is used as stomatch wash through Ryelie’s tube & is found to very effective in case of peptic ulcer.
- Some of the fractions of crataeva nurvala showed promising anti- inflammatory & anti – arthritic activities. It has been found to produce prolonged hypotension of gradual onset (CCRIMH annual report 1972-73).
- The water extract of crataeva bark plays nicotinic actions on guinea pig ileum & dog tracheal muscle in vitro.
- The effect of this water extrct on the bladder contractility of dogs has studied.
- The alcohol ether extract of bark has anti – inflammatory activity comparable to that of corticosteroids.
- Acute inflammations induced by histamine & carrageenin & delayed (chronic) inflammation ( in formaldehyde induced arthiritis) are both inhibited.
- The water extract of leaves has anti-bacterial activity against shigella & salmonella.