Svarabheda is indistinctness of utterance or hoarseness (sounding rough) of the voice.
According to Charaka Samhitaa, types of Svarabheda are as follows –
- Raktaja and
If Svarabheda is associated with Raajayakshma it has two more type of manifestations as
- Kaasa Vegaja and
According to Sus`hruta Samhitaa, types are as follows:
There is little difference in the management of Svarabheda Vyaadhi and Svarabheda associated with Raajayakshmaa. At places Svarabheda associated withRaajayakshmaa is called as Svarasaada or Svarakshaya.
o Saarvadehika: Snehana Vamana Virechana Basti
o Sthaanika: Nasya – Avapeed`a, Mukhaprakshaalana, Dhooma, Kavala
o S`hvaasaghna-Kaasaghna Leha
o Ghrita Paana Bhojanottara
o Taila in Paana, Abhyanga, Gand`oosha and Basti Maayoora Ghrita, Maayoora Ksheera
o Siddha Ghrita
o Maamsarasa of Barhi, Tittira, Daksha cooked with Pancha Moola Kvaatha
o Gud`audana with Ghrita and Anupaana Sukhodaka
In Vaataja Svarabheda, Taila (oil) should be extensively used as it is best S`hamana remedy for Vaata Dosha.
- Madhura Siddha Ghrita
- Siddha Ghritapaana,
- Sarpi with Anupaana of Ksheera
- Madhuradravya with Madhu and Ghrita
- Madhuka Paayasa + Ghrita
In Pittaja Svarabheda, Ghrita is extensively used as it is the best S`hamana remedy for Pitta Dosha. (Ghrita should be effectively used in absence of Aama Avasthaa)
- Teekshn`a Moordha Virechana
- Kat`u Rasa Pradhaana
- Teekshn`a Madya
In Kaphaja Svarabheda, Teekshn`a and Kat`u Dravya and Aahaara (food) are mainly used as they pacify Kapha Dosha.
- Similar Chikitsaa to
- Pittaja Svarabheda
- Kshaya Kaasaghna
- Saghrita Jaangala Maamsa Rasa
Tridoshaja (Sannipaataja) Svarabheda
- Tridoshaja Svarabheda should be treated considering it as Pratyaakhyeya.
- In Tridoshaja Svarabheda treatment of all Dosha_s should be done depending upon the predominant Dosha. Appropriate S`hodhana should be done exceptSiraavedha.
Medoja Svarabheda should be treated on the lines similar to Kaphaja Svarabheda.
Kshayaja Svarabheda should be treated considering that it is Pratyaakhyeya in nature.
Uchcha Bhaashan`a Abhihata Svara:
- If voice is altered or changed or became weak due to loud speaking, is called as Uchcha Bhaashana Abhihata Svara.
- It should be treated by administering Ksheerapaaka of Madhura Dravya with S`harkaraa (sugar) and Madhu (honey).
Lakshan`a Svaroopa Svarabheda Chikitsaa:
In Charaka Samhitaa and Asht`aanga Hridaya, treatment of Svarabheda is given in two different ways. The one is stated earlier and the other is treatment ofSvarabheda associated with Raajayakshmaa Vyaadhi.
Svarabheda with Raajayakshmaa
o Nasya (Siddha Ghrita)
S`hamana: Siddha Ghrita Leha
o Snehana Svedana
o Bhojanottara Ghrita Paana
o Siddha Taila Nasya
o Ghrita + Sukhoshn`a Jala Anupaana,
o Naavana (Nasya) by Siddha Ghrita
o Ghrita with Ksheerapaaka as Anupaana
o Kat`u Sevana + Rooksha Bhojana
o Yava Yukta Yavaagoo with Kan`aa and Dhaatree Prakshepa
o Bhojanottara Teekshn`a Vamana
o Bhojanottara Pippalee and S`hun`t`hee
Difference between the treatments of these two types of Svarabheda:
- While treating Svarabheda Vyaadhi, S`hodhana has been given more emphasis as compare to when it is associated with Raajaykshmaa. ( where S`hamana has been given more importance)
- Since in Raajayakshmaa, the line of treatment is to improve the strength of the patient, Ghrita preparations are used extensively in treating Svarabheda also.
- Dhaanya- Yava, Rakta S`haalee
- S`haaka- Gokshura, Krishn`a Saarivaa, Baala Moolaka, Haritakee, Rasona, Aardraka, Maricha
- Dugdha- Ghrita
- Drava- Madya
- Phala-Draaksha, Maatulunga, Nimbuka
- Kritaanna- Yavaanna, Hansa, Vanya Kukkut`a, Mayoora Maamsarasa
- Other– Saindhava, Taamboola, Svedana, Basti, Dhoomapaana, Virechana, Kavala, Nasya, Bhojanottara Ghritapaana
- Rasa- Kashaaya, Amla
- Dugdha- Dadhi
- Phala- Aamra, Apakva Kapittha, Bakula Phala, Kamala Kanda, Jamboo, Tinduka
- Other– Viruddhaanna, Durgandhee Padaartha, Vamana, Atinidraa, Trishn`a, Udgaara, Kshudhaa Vega Dhaaran`a, Raktamokshan`a, Krodha, Bhaya, S`hoka, Ati Bhaashan`a